ShAFF RUN programme announced
The 2012 Sheffield Adventure Film Festival programme has just been released and there are more films than ever with 75 of the best adventure, travel and extreme sports films hand-picked for you from around the world. That’s 1,550 minutes of film screened over one weekend (9-11 March) at Sheffield’s art deco Showroom Cinema - the UK’s biggest independent cinema outside London.
For runners there’s a cracking line up of films and lectures, kicking off with an Accelerate Expert Running Night on 9th February supported by New Balance and also Trail Running magazine with a Question time panel featuring leading UK female adventure racer Caroline Bullard, ultra-runner Stu Walker (GW Record for running across Hadrian's Wall, top 10 Lakeland 100) and ultra-runner Dan Shrimpton, Winner of Hardmoors 50 and Lyke Wake Challenge.
The main festival weekend (9-11 March) is packed with a special running film screening including World Premieres of three films featuring the remarkable skyrunner Kilian Jornet and Planet Fear’s The Epic Tri (yes that’s right - Bob Graham Round + John O’Groats to Lands End + Devizes to Westminster canoe race!). Plus there’s a feature showing of Unbreakable - the Western States 100 - four of the greatest undefeated ultra-runners go head to head in the world’s most prestigious foot race. And last but not least, we’re proud to host an illustrated lecture and book signing by mountain runners Angela Mudge and Jethro Lennox (authors of World’s Ultimate Running Races) and an illustrated lecture by runner & English marathon record holder Charlie Spedding (author of From Last to First).
Sheffield Adventure Film Festival Director Matt Heason said: “I’m delighted this year’s running programme is so strong as running’s such a big part of the sporting culture in Sheffield and the Peak District. We hope that our films and lectures will excite experienced runners and maybe inspire others to lace up their trainers and fell-shoes for the first time.”
Sheffield Adventure Film Festival Judge and Adventure Sports Writer and endurance runner Nikalas Cook says: “As a runner, this year’s running line-up at ShAFF is really exciting. Top names at the Expert Night and Lectures and some stunning and inspirational films. My personal recommendation is the feature length Unbreakable, chronicling the epic 2010 Western States 100. Even if you already know the result, it’ll still have you on the edge of your seat right down to the final few miles.”
And because variety’s the spice of life (and perhaps not all your family and friends are runners!) there’s a whole host of other adventure sports films, talks and lectures as well as family-friendly Young Adventurer Showings. Don’t forget the Showroom Cinema has a comfy bar/cafe with live music where you can relax in between screenings. We’ll also have a photo and video competitions, exhibitions, a charity auction, 2nd hand kit sale, massage by Global Therapies and much, much more.
ALSO NEW FOR 2012:
- New awards category ‘Best Viral’ to reflect the surging popularity and quality of shorts posted on You Tube and Vimeo.
- New ‘Adventure Bites Loop’ - an hour long repeat screening of the festival’s best shorts.
- Extra ski/board films screening to accommodate the strong field of ski/board entries.
- Extra Young Adventurers showing - afternoon matinee in addition to the Saturday and Sunday morning showings which sold out last year.
- Feature length movies - 3 feature length film screenings including big budget ski hits All.I.Can and The Art of Flight.
- New charity auction on behalf of Community Action Nepal.
Can’t wait for your adventure film fix? check out the Heason Events Facebook page for a Daily Adventure Dose www.facebook.com/heason.events. Follow us on twitter at @HeasonEvents and @Heason_Lissa #dailyadventuredose #shaff ENDS
FULL RUNNING PROGRAMME DETAILS:
Expert Night – Running
Thu 9 Feb - 20.15 - Screen 5 (tickets: standard prices)
Ultrarunning Question Time style panel with Caz Bullard, Stu Walker and Dan Shrimpton. Sponsored by Sheffield store Accelerate and supported by Trail Running magazine.
Running Films Special Screening (84mins)
Sat 10 Mar - 15.00 - Creative Lounge (tickets: 2/3 prices)
- Kilian Jornet - New Record On Mount Olympus - 4 minutes Kilian Jornet describes himself as a Skyrunner-Ski Mountaineer. His ski skills are obvious when you watch him dance up and glide down a mountain. In this first of 3 of his Quest Series films, Jornet sets the speed record for running 45km route up Mt. Olympus (3500m) in just 5 hours, 19 minutes, and 45 seconds.
- Running Wild - 15 minutes A portrait of Fiona Rennie, Scottish ultra runner, who fought her way back from a life-threatening brain haemorrhage to race distances of up to 100 miles. She spent 3 weeks in intensive care but was up and running again just a month after her collapse.
- Kilian Jornet - Back To The Roots - 3 minutes This slow motion video of ultra trail runner Kilian Jornet is the ultimate way to appreciate his dazzling running style and flawless technique. A masterclass in off-road running.
- West Slabs Of Olympus - 9 minutes Follow Mountain trail runner Jared Campbell as he hurtles down the 2300ft/ 3 mile descent down Utah's West Slabs of Olympus in an hour. Singletrack, bushwhacking, boulder hopping, a steep snow-field and a river gully descent - it's not for the faint-hearted.
- Kilian Jornet - Slow Motion - 5 minutes Endurance athlete Kilian Jornet visits his hero and the man who has been an inspiration to him since he was a child - the Italian ultra-runner Bruno Brunod. Jornet says of Brunod: "For me, for all mountain runners, he is a god".
- The Epic Tri - 38 minutes Bob Graham Round fell run (= 65 miles, 42 Mountain Tops, 27,000ft climb, 24 Hours) + John O'Groats to Land's End bike ride (= 874 miles, 60 Hours, 400000 pedal turns) + Devizes to Westminster Canoe race (= 125 miles, 77 portages, 24 Hours) + 2 blokes = The Epic Tri. You do the maths.
Unbreakable: The Western States 100 (114)
Fri 9 Mar - 19.00 - Screen 5 Feature length film about a perfect storm of a race - in 2010 four of the greatest undefeated mountain runners on earth toed the starting line at the oldest and most prestigious 100-mile foot race in the world, The Western States 100.
Angela Mudge & Jethro Lennox Lecture
Fri 9 Mar - 21.15 - Screen 5 (tickets: standard prices) Duration 90mins
An illustrated lecture and book signing by mountain runners Angela Mudge and Jethro Lennox (authors of World’s Ultimate Running Races)
Charlie Spedding Lecture
Sat 10 Mar - 18.00 - Creative Lounge (tickets: standard prices) Duration 90mins
An illustrated lecture by runner & English marathon record holder Charlie Spedding (author of From Last to First).
NOTES TO EDITORS:
HIGH RESOLUTION PRESS IMAGES: http://www.shaff.co.uk/press-filmakers-volunteers/press-images/2012-images/
- ShAFF is the weekend of 9-11 March 2012 (www.shaff.co.uk) at the art deco Sheffield Showroom cinema - the UK’s biggest independent cinema outside London. (15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX / tel 0114 275 7727 or book online at www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/)
- Film screenings are mixed in with talks and lectures on epic climbs, runs and rides by world-class adventurers.
- It’s great value - one ticket buys you a multi-film screening so you can see several films in one hit. Passionate about your sport? Then try our specialist selections. Want a high energy hit? Then book our Adrenaline showing. Fancy inspiration and escapism? Try the Adventure Medley. - For a family friendly weekend try our morning Young Adventurer showings were both sell outs last year so this year we’ll also have afternoon matinees with urban orienteering afterwards.
- Chill out in the bar/cafe between screenings with live music, comfy-seating and free wifi. During the day grab a light lunch and coffee with friends and in the evenings, book dinner made by experienced chefs with fresh, local produce. Why not try the great selection of on tap or bottled beers, wines and ciders - not forgetting the awesome cake cabinet!
- Getting there’s easy - We’re just across the road from the mainline train station with regular services to the Peak District, Manchester and the UK, there are also local buses, trams and a plenty of nearby car- parks.
- We’re growing in the face of a global recession. Now in its 7th year, for the past six years 100% of the audience said they’d come back again and recommend it to a friend. ShAFF 2011 was our best ever year with a 77% increase in ticket sales, an amazing film programme and a packed series of lectures including the legendary Steve Peat.
Festival Director, Matt Heason, Heason Events - firstname.lastname@example.org or 1433 639378 / 07966 529219
Lissa Cook, PR & Media consultant, Heason Events - email@example.com / or 01663 751 126 / 07818 411 791
Follow us on facebook and twitter at @Heason_Lissa and @HeasonEvents