Steve Birkinshaw & Martin Stone
AN EVENING WITH TWO BRITISH FELL RUNNING LEGENDS
DATE: TUE FEB 12TH 2019
COST: £17.50 / £12.50 CONCESSIONS. TICKETS AVAILABLE VIA THE BUXTON OPERA HOUSE WEBSITE
- Steve will talk about his running career. He will focus on his Wainwright Round record and the chronic fatigue and heart issues he suffered as a result of this and then his recovery and return to winning races
- My talk will be about my early Solo Unsupported Rounds and mountain running adventures dating back to the late 1970s. It's possible that the oft used phrase 'solo unsupported' originates in my descriptions of these early solo adventures.
After the Interval Steve and I will chat and show some video about:
- Dragons Back Race - Helene Diamantides and I won the first edition in 1992 and Steve won the reprise, 20 years later in 2002.
- LAMM - Martin organised the LAMM over a 24 year period from 1994 - 2018. Steve has taken part in LAMMs since the beginning including the Isle of Jura Classic in 1997 and with his partner Neil Talbott, he won the Elite course last year at the final Isle of Harris Classic 2008.
- Kilian Jornet's Bob Graham Round - Martin setup Kilian's record attempt for him and will talk about the back story to Kilian's amazing day out on the Lakeland Fells. Steve also has a story to tell as he paced Kilian on the 4th leg from Wasdale to Honister. We are also delighted that Lymbus are allowing us to show the full length (10 minutes) film of Kilian's day. This will only be the 2nd ever public viewing of the film and it is well worth seeing.
Steve Birkinshaw is a legend within the fell running and ultrarunning communities, both for the extreme distances he can run in the roughest terrain and his ability to push himself to the absolute limit. Born in 1968, he began orienteering by himself at the age of seven. Since then his enthusiasm for running has never diminished, and over forty years later he is still happiest running with a map and compass through bogs and rocks in the wind and rain. He was won many fell races, adventure races and orienteering events, including over twenty wins in the elite class at mountain marathons and victories at the Lakeland 100, the Dragon's Back Race and the record for the completion of all 214 Wainwright fells in the Lake District.
Steve will talk about his running career. He will focus on his Wainwright Round record and the chronic fatigue and heart issues he suffered as a result of this and then his recovery and return to winning races
Martin on day 5 of the original Dragon's Back Race in 1992. Photo courtesy of Rob Howard.
Martin will recount tales and anecdotes of his long distance solo unsupported mountain running adventures dating back to the late 1970s, (when dinosaurs were still roaming the planet!). How did we cope before GPS, Mobile Phones, online tracking, the Internet, Facebook, Twitter and email?
In 1987 he completed the first and to date, the only solo unsupported Mid-Winter Bob Graham in under 24 hours. Later the same year, running solo, he added a big extension to the Ramsay Round, and in 1989 completed the only Mid-Winter Paddy Buckley Round, also solo unsupported. All this happened more than 30 years ago……
In 1992 Helene Diamantides and Martin won the first ever Dragon’s Back race. Since retiring from competitive running in 1994 Martin has organised the LAMM (Lowe Alpine Mountain marathon) for 24 years, culminating this year in the final Isle of Harris classic.
In 2001 he and his partner Debbie climbed Aconcagua in a day (in trainers).
Now aged 60, Martin is Mr SPORTident Timing and SiEntries. He hopes the evening will leave you feeling that you’re never too old to enjoy an adventure.