TRY THE SHEFFIELD ADVENTURE FILM FESTIVAL TRIATHLON
SWIM-BIKE-RUN FILMS & TALKS AT ShAFF 2012
Triathletes are in for a real treat with 2 swim films; a special running screening, a feature length film and 2 running talks by ultra runners Angela Mudge and Jethro Lennox and English marathon record holder Charlie Spedding; 2 special bike screenings and a rehab session with Chris Akrigg talking about recovering from his horrific 40ft fall last year.
Not forgetting that the Running Films session includes the film ‘The Epic Tri’ - an attempt to do the Bob Graham Round fell run (= 65 miles, 42 Mountain Tops, 27,000ft climb, 24 Hours) + John O'Groats to Land's End bike ride (= 874 miles, 60 Hours, 400000 pedal turns) + Devizes to Westminster Canoe race (= 125 miles, 77 portages, 24 Hours) + 2 blokes = The Epic Tri. You do the maths!
Click here to read producer Dave MacFarlane's article on planetFear about the making of The Epic Tri
This year’s Sheffield Adventure Film Festival is set to be the most successful ever. The film trailer - a montage of film highlights produced by award-winning film-maker Alastair Lee with soundtrack by Sheffield band Hey Sholay - has had nearly 100,000 hits on You Tube. Our pre-festival expert night Q&A sessions have all been sell-outs. And with the Showroom Cinema box office selling tickets faster than ever, Festival Director Matt Heason is predicting this year’s event will be the biggest and best yet.
It’s all on at Sheffield’s art-deco Showroom - the UK’s biggest independent cinema outside London. There’s a comfy bar with beer on tap, great food, free wifi, live music and a whole host of other films and talks from the ever popular ‘Adrenaline’ films screening to the new ‘Adventure Bites’ loop of short viral hits.
Festival Director Matt Heason says: “Looking at the programme I reckon there are a couple of “courses” I could recommend to a dedicated triathlete.”
“Race 1 is our long-distance 3 day race (Run Friday/Bike Saturday/Swim Sunday): Kick off on Friday with the ultra distance Unbreakable: The Western States 100 followed by mountain runners Angela Mudge & Jethro Lennox discussing the world’s greatest running races. On Saturday have a leisurely 3.30pm start with Bike Films 1, then Bike Films 2 topped off with Chris Akrigg’s mountain bike talk on Saturday evening. Then take an icy plunge on Sunday lunchtime with ‘Winter Swimming‘ in Adventure Medley 2 followed by a swim through London’s outdoor pools in ‘Wild Swim London in Adventure Medley 1’."
“Or try Race 2 - our one-day Saturday Swim-Run-Bike course - Wild Swim London in Adventure Medley 1 at 12pm followed by Running Films including the Epic Tri at 3pm with a fast transition into either the 6pm Bike Films 2 showing or the 5.30pm talk by marathon runner Charlie Spedding, and if you have the stomach and stamina end the day with Chris Akrigg’s talk about getting back on the bike after his big crash.”
Team GB duathlete, adventure sports writer and ShAFF judge Nik Cook said: “Triathletes are renowned for their dedication to training. This is a chance to kick-back, recharge your batteries and inspire yourself to get back out with fresh legs and a clear mind on Monday morning.”
Plus festival sponsors, the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative are offering a Revolution Courier Race bike (worth £329.99) in an online ShAFF competition. (Enter here)
And because variety’s the spice of life (and perhaps not all your family and friends are traithletes!) there’s a whole host of other adventure sports films, talks and lectures. We’ll also have a photo and video competitions, exhibitions, a charity auction, 2nd hand kit sale, massage by Global Therapies and much, much more.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- DOWNLOAD PRESS IMAGES HERE or cut and paste: http://www.shaff.co.uk/press-filmakers-volunteers/press-images/2012-images/
- ShAFF is the weekend of 9-11 March 2012 (www.shaff.co.uk) at the art deco Sheffield Showroom cinema - the UK’s biggest independent cinema outside London. (15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX / tel 0114 275 7727 or book online at www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/)
- Film screenings are mixed in with talks and lectures on epic climbs, runs and rides by world-class adventurers. - It’s great value - one ticket buys you a multi-film screening so you can see several films in one hit. Passionate about your sport? Then try our specialist selections. Want a high energy hit? Then book our Adrenaline showing. Fancy inspiration and escapism? Try the Adventure Medley.
- For a family friendly weekend try our morning Young Adventurer showings were both sell outs last year so this year we’ll also have afternoon matinees with urban orienteering afterwards.
- Chill out in the bar/cafe between screenings with live music, comfy-seating and free wifi. During the day grab a light lunch and coffee with friends and in the evenings, book dinner made by experienced chefs with fresh, local produce. Why not try the great selection of on tap or bottled beers, wines and ciders - not forgetting the awesome cake cabinet! - Getting there’s easy
- We’re just across the road from the mainline train station with regular services to the Peak District, Manchester and the UK, there are also local buses, trams and a plenty of nearby car- parks.
- We’re growing in the face of a global recession. Now in its 7th year, for the past six years 100% of the audience said they’d come back again and recommend it to a friend. ShAFF 2011 was our best ever year with a 77% increase in ticket sales, an amazing film programme and a packed series of lectures including the legendary Steve Peat.
Festival Director, Matt Heason, Heason Events - firstname.lastname@example.org or 1433 639378 / 07966 529219
Lissa Cook, PR & Media consultant, Heason Events - email@example.com / or 01663 751 126 / 07818 411 791
Follow us on facebook and twitter at @Heason_Lissa and @HeasonEvents