Petzl ShAFF Shorts Video Competition - £500 Petzl kit up for grabs
Calling all budding film-makers - it could be your film on the big screen at this year’s Sheffield Adventure Film Festival at the Showroom Cinema, the UK's biggest independent cinema outside London. There’s £500 worth of Petzl kit up for grabs. (£300 worth for the winner, £150 for second place and £50 for third place).
It’s open to everyone. We’re looking for 3 minute max films about adventures or adventure sports. Leading UK climber Andy Turner (who’s sponsored by Petzl) will be presenting the 3 winning videos at the festival on 9th March (closing date 1st March). Get filming!
Last year Ben Pritchard won with his film of the ‘Tryfan Downhill Dash’, narrowly beating Hannah Taylor’s ‘DIY Cable Cam for Mountain Biking’ filmed on The Beast in the Peak District. 3rd place was won by 14 year old TJ Smith from Hope Valley College for ‘Dirt Merchants’ - his mates out mountain-biking epic, filmed on head-cam. Your imagination’s the limit. (Click here to read about last year's winners & watch their entries).
Petzl-sponsored climber Andy Turner said: “I'm excited to see the winning entries and hand out the prizes for the Petzl Short film competition. It's important to document our adventures, I was involved in the Petzl Scottish Winter Trip a couple of years ago I couldn't believe how many people watched the film online and asked me about it. Films and the equipment to make them is so much more accessible to everyone now and the results are amazing, what a great way to inspire all of us to go out and have more adventures.”
Festival Director Matt Heason says: “I’m overwhelmed by the quality of short films in this year’s festival. In fact we’ve created a brand new judging category just for virals and an ‘Adventure Bites’ Loop of the best submissions. And our own 2 minute trailer edited by award-winning climbing film-maker Al Lee has got 60,000 hits in its first week.”
“With the Petzl ShAFF Shorts competition we want to encourage new film-makers to have a go. With technology getting less expensive and more sophisticated every year it’s getting easier to make your own films. It’s a chance to get your adventure short shown at the cinema in front of an audience of paying punters, film-makers and adventure athletes. Your Film - Big Picture, Big Sound System, Big Crowd.”
Andy Turner will be giving an illustrated lecture at ShaFF (during which he’ll present the awards). He’ll be talking about: climbing the hardest mixed routes in Scotland, new routing in Lofoten (Norway) in the winter, and hopefully about a trip to Canada that he'll be arriving back from 4 days before ShAFF! Click here to buy tickets to hear Andy.
Click here for entry conditions
Click here to download a pdf version of this press release.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- Petzl make technical gear for sport climbing and ice climbing, but also aid climbing, mountaineering, caving, via ferrata, multi-pitch climbing, canyonning, etc as well as hands-free headlamps for climbing, trail running, sailing and fishing. Lyon Outdoor are Petzl's UK Distributors. Follow Lyon Outdoor on Facebook and Petzl on Facebook.
- PRESS IMAGES HERE or cut and paste: http://www.shaff.co.uk/press-filmakers-volunteers/press-images/2012-images/
- ShAFF is the weekend of 9-11 March 2012 (www.shaff.co.uk) at the art deco Sheffield Showroom cinema - the UK’s biggest independent cinema outside London. (15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX / tel 0114 275 7727 or book online at www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/) Film screenings are mixed in with talks and lectures on epic climbs, runs and rides by world-class adventurers.
- It’s great value - one ticket buys you a multi-film screening so you can see several films in one hit. Passionate about your sport? Then try our specialist selections. Want a high energy hit? Then book our Adrenaline showing. Fancy inspiration and escapism? Try the Adventure Medley.
- For a family friendly weekend try our morning Young Adventurer showings were both sell outs last year so this year we’ll also have afternoon matinees with urban orienteering afterwards.
- Chill out in the bar/cafe between screenings with live music, comfy-seating and free wifi. During the day grab a light lunch and coffee with friends and in the evenings, book dinner made by experienced chefs with fresh, local produce. Why not try the great selection of on tap or bottled beers, wines and ciders - not forgetting the awesome cake cabinet!
- Getting there’s easy - We’re just across the road from the mainline train station with regular services to the Peak District, Manchester and the UK, there are also local buses, trams and a plenty of nearby car- parks.
- We’re growing in the face of a global recession. Now in its 7th year, for the past six years 100% of the audience said they’d come back again and recommend it to a friend. ShAFF 2011 was our best ever year with a 77% increase in ticket sales, an amazing film programme and a packed series of lectures including the legendary Steve Peat.
- Contacts: Festival Director, Matt Heason, Heason Events - email@example.com or 1433 639378 / 07966 529219 or Lissa Cook, PR & Media consultant, Heason Events - firstname.lastname@example.org / or 01663 751 126 / 07818 411 791 or Follow us on facebook and twitter at @Heason_Lissa and @HeasonEvents.